SITE MENU TO VISIT EXHIBITS
SCROLL FOR MORE
8 - 8
Donations of historical photographs of Malden and citizens of Malden is accepted after review by the board and a signed release is filled out by donor.
Call us a 573-276-5008 for private tours of the museum for individuals or groups.
E-Mail us for information and tours.
“I am so glad that I toured the museum today.”
“So many new discoveries!”
“We had no idea of the wonderful collectibles in your museum.”
Former State Rep. Kent Hampton presents U. S. Flag to the Museum. left, Randy Moore, Ann Bostic, Jackie Mitchell and Elizabeth Haskins
Kent Hampton, left and Randy Moore, Museum Director2
Viewing MHS Class Composite2
The Kalkbrenner Family Visits The Southeast Missouri Room2
Guest discuss various museum exhibits2
Exploring the Alumni Room Is Always Interesting
A Family Pose From The Bowling Sisters2
Museum Tour Guide Elizabeth Haskins2
Nick Arends, center, Tours The Southeast Missouri Room2
The Bowling's Family Pets Gets Special Attention During Their Tour2
Begging For Attention2
From left, Ann McDonald, Mrs. Crank, Elizabeth Haskins, Betty Higgins and Carol Demaree In The Alumni Room2
"Everyone has deep in their heart the old town or community where they first went barefooted, got his first licking, traded the first pocket knife, grew up and finally went away thinking they here to big for that Burg. But that's where your old heart is."--Will Rogers
Select Room Photographs To View Pages
History of Malden Museum | Ann Bostic Interview
Dr. Frank Nickell | History of Malden
Malden Ice Storm 2009
Ann Bostic Interview
Steve Johnson interviews Ann Bostic, museum director and founding members. Ms. Bostic gives a tour of the museum that was broadcast on YHC-TV channel on Newwave Communications network.
Dr. Frank Nickell - Lecture
Dr. Frank Nickell, Associate Professor of History at Southeast Missouri State University lectures on the history of Malden from its founding days to 2003.
The Malden Historical Museum was founded in 1955 by Mary Kochtitzky, who began collecting historical information and articles from area residents. The museum began in one room in the back of the Malden Library which was founded by her sister Elise Kochtitzky Byrd. Many antiques were donated to the museum for display and soon the meager space available was overwhelmed with a wide variety of items to display. A number of displays were set up at the museum for visitors to view and those displays were changed often by rotating them with items in storage. The museum continued to grow and was a favorite spot for visitors, especially school children who came individually and in groups.
In 1980 Floyd and Vera Brown donated their home at 201 North Beckwith Street to the museum. Following extensive renovation, the Malden Historical Museum opened its doors at its new home in 1983 where it is still located today. Thanks to the generosity and support of the citizens of Malden, the museum has been able to continue its purpose of preserving the history of the area. The museum receives no financial assistance from the city, state or national governments and is solely funded by memberships, memorials and donations. Over the years, the museum has seen visitors from 23 states and four foreign countries as well as many from within Missouri. A number of school classes, youth organizations and other groups have also toured the facility.
Many special exhibits have been on display, including the "Back to the 40s and 50s," "Easter Bonnets," "History of Malden Schools," and "Barn Again." Don't miss the "Archival Room" where the store of histories, oral tapes, maps and pictures is steadily increasing. All are being gathered into one room for easy access and preservation.
The Museum is open to the public on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1:30 until 4:30 each day and special viewing's may be scheduled by calling 276-5008 during open hours or by email. You may also call Sue Bostic at 276-5663 to make arrangements.
The Malden Historical Museum is staffed by Elizabeth Haskins and Sue Bostic, along with many volunteers and is operated under the auspices of a Board of Trustees.
The Board of Trustees deeply appreciates your support and urges you to become a member. With a donation of $100 or more, names of your choice may be placed on the "In Memorial" and the "Special Recognition" plaques.
Director David Black
Director Charles Dierks
Director Sue Bostic
Secretary & Treasurer
Director Mitch Green
Director Randy Burrow
Director Stokes Howell
Director Roger East
The City of Malden, located five miles south of the north boundary line of Dunklin County, sits on a sand ridge extending north and south between the lowlands of New Madrid County on the east and the foothills of the Ozarks on the west. Malden forms an important link in the chain of progressive cities that extend from north to south through this part of Missouri, which is called the Bootheel.
The location is ideal for a growing prosperous city because of the rich level farm lands surrounding it, the drainage ditches east and west, and the railways and highways passing through. Early settlers, long before Malden was thought of, engaged in hunting, trapping and farming. The first white man to locate in Dunklin County was Howard Moore in 1829, at a place just south of what is now Malden. M. Gibony built the first little "clapboard" grocery store in the county in 1844. Farms along this ridge were few and far apart, but the people were friendly and hospitable.
Wheat grew in the hills west of here and people went there to fill their straw bed ticks, which were used for mattresses. Bed ticks were also filled with feathers plucked from chickens, ducks and geese, placed on top of the straw-filled one, and a very comfortable bed was made.
Rev. Riley Hatley lived and preached in a big log house. When weather permitted, the services were in the yard under the big locust trees. In cold or rainy weather the congregation gathered inside. People came from miles around to hear a gospel message once a month. Later, the "circuit rider" came through once a month and preached in the Old Union Church building.
Pioneer settlers knew that better methods of transportation were necessary before the wheels of progress could bring better things to them. So a group of Dunklin County men joined with a group of New Madrid County men and formed an organization called the Blanton Plank Road Company. This company was incorporated under a special act of the Legislature in 1855 for the purpose of constructing a toll road across the swamps directly west from New Madrid to the high land in Dunklin County. They were given a grant of 100,000 acres of swamp land to aid in carrying forward this expensive undertaking. The road was barely completed when the Civil War interrupted business and nothing further was done to maintain it.
In 1877, the Little River Valley and Arkansas Railroad was extended from New Madrid to a place we now call Malden -- then it was Brom Beckwith's cotton field. This was the western terminus of the road, and because of the nature of the country, the promoters decided to build a railroad town on this ridge to furnish supplies necessary for carrying out a great reclamation project.
Different versions have been given concerning the way Malden got its name. The one given by Miss Mary Kochtitzky, daughter of the young civil engineer who had charge of laying out the new town, is the one accepted as the true one because it was told by her father, Otto Kochtitzky. One morning, after staying at a farm house all night, Major Clark said: "Otto, I know what to name the new town -- I dreamed it was named Malden." So it has been called Malden ever since.
The first house was built by S.W. Spiller and Daniel Haynes and used for a store. Spiller was the first postmaster. Later, a committee headed by James Gregory, S.W. Spiller and Daniel Haynes, accompanied by 27 others, presented a petition to the county court at Kennett asking that they be incorporated and a police department established for their local government. The petition was granted on April 22, 1878, and the town of Malden was incorporated. Many business and professional men came to cast their lots with the fast-growing community. It is said that in 1880, there were four stores and five saloons on Main Street. The Town of Malden became the City of Malden on March 19, 1889. The first brick buildings were the Levi Mercantile Company in 1889, the Dunklin County Bank in 1890, and the City Hall in 1891 (which was later razed and rebuilt in 1936).
The Dunklin County Bank was built in 1890 and was one of the first brick buildings to be erected in Dunklin County. It still stands today and is currently occupied by Southern Missouri Bank and Trust at the corner of Main and Douglas Streets. Malden not only boasts of having the first brick building, but also of having the first light and power plant, the first telephone system and the first bank in Dunklin County. For a time, it was the largest city in the county. There are volumes of information on the history of Malden and Dunklin County available to the public at the Malden Historical Museum.
Front Of Museum Photograph Book
Main Street Fire Department Demonstration of Equipment
Bostic Mtor Company On Main Street
Well Know Photograph of Deer That Jumped Through Bank of Malden
Crowd Assembled On The Corner of Laclede and Madison Street
Boy and His Dog During Heavy Snow Storm On The Corner of Laclede and Madison Street
Red Cross Volunteers World War I
Tuckers Meat Store On Madison Street. The Building Still Exist
DOWNLOAD OUR BOOK
FOR YOUR TABLET
FOR ONLY $4.99
P.O. Box 142
201 N. Beckwith - Malden, MO 63863
Open 1:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays
Since the museum depends solely upon memberships, donations and memorials, this is necessary and greatly appreciated. Families are always notified in the case of contributions given as memorials. All memorials are listed in a permanent record book. Membership fees are listed below. Make checks payable to the Malden Historical Museum by using the USPS or please use our PayPal link below.
$1.00 or more
Board members from left: John Davis, Dottie Waller, Jean Howell, Ann Bostic, Jenny Roth, Charles Roth, Rev. Aubachon and John Downing, Sr.
DOWNLOAD OUR BOOK
FOR YOUR TABLET
FOR ONLY $4.99
˄ TOP ˄
LET'S TALK ABOUT IT
The museum's goal is to protect and preserve the history of Malden, Missouri. We will be ready to assist you with any question about donations or gifts for preservations and display.
ADDRESS: PO Box 142, 201 N. Beckwith, Malden, MO. 63863
ORIGINAL MUSEUM PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO BY DAVID BLACK